The United States is losing its national cohesion.

0

The United States is losing its national cohesion.

Every country, whether a large powerhouse at the time or a little state in an unreachable corner of the planet, has both good and bad times, as well as suffering, instability, and sadness – psychological and economic.

The United States was founded on the backs of revolutionaries. It has seen multiple economic downturns and recessions, as well as a civil war, acts of terror dating back to the founding of the country, pandemics, too many lost wars, assassinations, and four presidents impeached, one twice. Indeed, a sitting vice president was charged for treason and acquitted. Another candidate ran for the position while incarcerated.

In the mid-nineteenth century, America persecuted Germans, Italians, Jews, Poles, and other Eastern Europeans, as well as Chinese, and interned over 100,000 Japanese during World War II as it moved west, gobbling up lands all the way to the Pacific; in the mid-nineteenth century, America persecuted Germans, Italians, Jews, Poles, and other Eastern Europeans, as well as Chinese. Amid the 1918-20 “red scares” and labor riots, when the country was targeted by a few of terrorist letter bombs, and all during the Spanish flu epidemic and a world war, it detained tens of thousands without due process. And the treatment of its Black and Brown inhabitants has never been on par with that of its White citizens.

Despite these and other repressive actions, America had managed to remain “the shining city on the hill” and the democratic oasis that drew so many “yearning to be free” people. Despite its tumultuous history, one could ask if this is the same America as it has been for generations. Or has historical amnesia destroyed recollections and memories of events that defined what our country stood for, leaving us with the muck of modern life?

There have always been divisions. The scars of partisanship and divisiveness have also been visible. Franklin D. Roosevelt may have enthralled 60% of the population. However, the majority of the remaining 40% despised him, probably even more than recent presidents. Despite Roosevelt’s diplomacy to join the allies in Europe, America First reigned before to Pearl Harbor, and the US avoided war.

But, maybe, since September 11, 2001, the country has begun a more visible metamorphosis or significant breakdown of national cohesion, a sharp development from the mistrust and distrust that has… Article Summary from Nokia News

Share.

Comments are closed.